On April 3, 2012, an EF-3 tornado struck the city as part of the April 3, 2012, tornado outbreak. Two homes were completely leveled and many others were severely damaged in the Diamond Creek subdivision. The tornado caused significant roof damage to Crosby Elementary School in Forney. A car in the parking lot of the school was tossed about 300 yards and found in a field. Mild damage was reported in downtown Forney and to a dry cleaning business. A tornado emergency was not called for Forney, but a tornado emergency was called for the nearby cities of Dallas, Greenville, and Arlington. No deaths were reported from either the Forney tornado or any other tornado that day.
Forney’s symbol is the jackrabbit.
- Median Age: 31.1
- Population Growth (2000-2013): 198.00%
- Population Density: 1,267 people per square mile
- Students Passing STARR K-11: 86%
- Average SAT Score: 1394
- Students Taking SAT/ACT: 68.20%
- Instruction Spending Per Student: $3,701
- Violent Crime Rate: 1.35 per 1,000 residents
- Non-Violent Crime Rate: 19.74 per 1,000 residents
- Average Price of Homes Sold (2013): $179,764
- Sales Price Change (2011-2013): 16.80%
- Owner-Occupied Homes: 82.90%
- Walkability (New York City is an 88): 45